DO YOU KNOW?
1. That the month of Dhul-Hijjah is one of the sacred months in the Islamic calendar. Others are; Muharraam, Rajab, and Dhul-Qada? Allaah says; "Verily, the number of months with AIlaah is twelve months [in a year], so was it ordained by AIlaah on the Day when He created the heavens and the earth; of them four are sacred [ i.e. the 1th,the7th and the11th of the Islamic calendar] [Q9:36]
2. That Allaah warns us from committing any wrongdoing against ourselves in the month Dhul-Hijjah?. Allaah says; " ... that is the right religion, so wrong not yourselves therein ... [Q 9:36]
3. That the first ten days in this month are the best in the sight of Allaah? Jabir bn Abdillah [RA) reported that the Prophet (peace be and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, "The [first] ten days of the month of Dhul-Hijjah are the best days in the sight of Allaah. "A man asked, "Are these days better than an equivalent number of days that are spent fighting for the cause of Allaah?" The Prophet (peace be and blessings of Allaah be upon him) answered, "They are better than an equivalent number of days spent fighting in the cause of Allaah.
And there is no day better in the sight of Allaah than the Day of Arafah. On this day Allaah, the Almighty and the Exalted One, descends to the nearest heaven, and He is proud of His slaves on the earth, and says to those in heaven, "Look at My servants. They have come from far and near, with hair dishevelled and faces covered with dust, to seek My Mercy, even though they have not seen my chastisement. Far more people are freed from the Hellfire on the Day of Arafah than on any other day. " [Ibn Hibban)
4. That the Day of Arafah [within day of Dhul-Hijjah] is the best of day that Allaah created?
5. That the actual Hajj rites fall in this month?
6. That the ninth of Dhul-Hijjah is the day the people who are performing Ha] would stand on the plane of Arafah?
7. That on the Day of Arafah those people who are not performing He] are encouraged to fast?
8. That we celebrate Eid-ul-Adha in this month? The festival falls on the tenth day of the month; but its celebration continues to the eleventh, twelfth and the thirteenth of the month.
9. That on the day of Eid-ul-Adha we are supposed perform two rakah of prayer? There is no superogatory prayer before or after the prayer.
10. That if is highly recommended for everybody to go to the Musallah [the prayer ground] including menstruating women? Narrated Um Atiya [RA]: We were ordered to bring out our menstruating women . and veiled women in the religious gatherings and invocation of Muslims on the two Id festivals. These menstruating women were to keep away from their Musalla. A woman asked, "O Allaah's Messenger [peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him] what about one who does not have a veil?" He said, "Let her share the veil of her companion."[Bukhari]
11. That we are supposed to praise Allaah and exalt His name as we go for the prayer and continue to say it aloud and individually until the imam arrives and then we say the prayer. We are to continue to say this until the last day of the celebration which is the thirteenth.
12. That when we are going for the Eid prayer we are encouraged to go via one route and come back through another?
13.That we can only slaughter our sacrificial animal after the Eid prayer.
14. That on this day we are encouraged to visit family members, friends and loved ones and generally do things that will strengthen ties of kinship? We are also allowed to play [permissible] games.
15. That generally the Day of Eid-ul-Adha is a day of merriment for the believers. The Day of Eid-ul- Adha and the Eid-ul-Fitri are the only two celebrations that are the permissible days of celebration for the Muslims.
The day of Jumuah is the third. Narrated Anas ibn Malik [RA] When the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to Medina, the people had two days on which they engaged in games. He asked: What are these two days (what is the significance)? They said: We used to engage ourselves on them in the pre-Islamic period.
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: Allaah has substituted for them something better than them, the day of sacrifice and the day of the breaking of the fast. [Abu Dawud]
This article was culled from the publications of Deen Communication Limited