Understanding the Qur’an

Praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the worlds. May the peace and blessings of Allaah be upon Muhammad, His last Messenger, his household, his companions and all those who follow him till the Last Day.

The blessed month of Ramadan has passed and we ask Allaah to grant us the reward of our ibaadah in that glorious month. It is still a long way to another Ramadan but many, if not most, of us are already a long way from our level of devotion in Ramadan. Ramadan provides a focus for our acts of ibaadah; so there is a need to pick a focus that will not pass away with time. Perhaps it is time tp make understanding the Qur'an - not just reading it - the focus of our ibaadah and one of the purposes of our existence.

What will I lose if I don't Understand the Qur'an?

Here are some key things that we lose when we don't understand the Qur'an DIRECTLY IN ARABIC.

Tadabbur & Tazakkur: We will not be able to fulfill the purpose of revelation. In fact, the very purpose of revelation cannot be performed as Allaah says:

«(Here is) a Book which We have sent down unto you (0Muhammad!), full of blessings, that they may meditate on its Signs, and that men of understanding may receive admonition [38:29J.

"One cannot and does not carry translation always, especially while listening to the Qur'an in the saLawaat [prayers]! Not only do we failto meditate on the Qur'an or receive its admonition; we do not even "read" the Qur'an in the most common sense. Can we claim to have read a French paper if we only read it without understanding it? That reading will be of no use at all. Fortunately, the Qur'an is different: we get the reward for reading it but understanding it is also a must.

Garden of mind: The mind is like a garden. If you don't sow flowers, weeds will grow. Even if you sow flowers, weeds will still grow. You will need to remove the weeds continuously. The flowers of the human mind are the pearls of wisdom and guidance from the Qur'an; while the various satanic thoughts that often overwhelm our being are the weeds. Allah sows flower seeds into our brain (every time we listen to the Qur'an, especially in our salawaat. If we don't water them (ponder), they will be wasted and weeds may grow.

Not fulfilling objectives of recitation: There are five (5) objectives of reciting the Qur'an: reward, knowledge, action, shifaa and munajaat. Reward comes with the recitation of the Qur'an, this is the promise of Allaah. The recitation also gives knowledge to the reader and this in turn necessitates actions of obedience and compliance. Shifaa refers to the cure of hearts and minds. A clean heart is essential for the believer to attain all the higher levels of the deen. We have a major misconception that Qur 'an is a book of commandments only. Commandments constitute less than 10%. The rest 90% is for the shifaa of the heart and mind. The heart keeps rusting and deviating because of sins, but also because we have many innate weaknesses. We have several fitnahs (trials) surrounding lis. We need continuous reminders and warnings which come to us through the Qur'an daily. Where are we with respect to the Qur'an and the cleaning of our hearts? Allaah says about the Qur'an:

«a healing for the (diseases) in your hearts" (Q10 Yunus]:57).

No one can give a better cure than Allaah.

Munajaat: The Rasul (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) used to interact with the recitation:

'And when he recited the Verses which referred to the Glory of Allah, he glorified Him (by saying Subhan Allah - My Rabb, the Supreme is far removed from every imperfection), the Great, and when he recited the Verses that mention supplication, he supplicated, and when he recited the Verses that mention seeking Refuge of the Rabb, he sought (His) Refuge." (Muslim)

This is the way we should interact with the Qur'an so that we can achieve the distinction of having a close conversation with Allaah, our Creator! If these are the only benefits of understanding the Qur'an directly in Arabic, then they are sufficient. But there are still many more virtues. Shouldn't we then set for ourselves the goal of attaining this station on or before the next Ramadan, insha Allaah? That should make the next Ramadan something to really look forward to And Allaah is our Source of help!.

This article was culled from the publications of Deen Communication Limited

dawahnigeria admin
dawah to the people